Writing Commercials

What are you doing to make money in these tough times? How are you motivating your staff?

Moderators: shawnski, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver, pmsimon

overboard

Writing Commercials

Post by overboard » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:59 am

Its become apparent to me lately that I had an untapped resource at my station when it came to writing creative commercials. I've been in "cahoots" with some of the jocks, asking them for advice and thoughts on writing some local commercials. We ended up presenting it to the company and they loved it. Not only very impressed but also want to do more ads with us. Has anyone else been using the jocks like this for more than just their voices?

winterwest

Re: Writing Commercials

Post by winterwest » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:39 am

That was HILARIOUS!
Thanks for the April Fools Day chuckle!

dsgordon

Post by dsgordon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:00 am

That is kind of funny. With exception of 1 on our Classic Rock Station, that looked at me like I had a 3rd eye. One exception is when they are receiving an endorsement from the client.

jorgea

Post by jorgea » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:33 am

This sounds like a fun way to make a living

robert07

Post by robert07 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:07 am

I think this is not funny. This is a great way to make money by commercially writing.

wongiwongi

Post by wongiwongi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Great idea! I've been writing commercial scripts since my early days as a jock - got me a stint in an ad agency for three years! These days I do lots more writing - got four novels out to prove it! Not all jocks suck!

maximillian

Post by maximillian » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:26 am

What universe do you live in, as I'd like to go there! Getting a jock to even reply to a "voice" request is problematic, at best. "Oh, I GUESS I have a minute for a quick one take". The only thing most jocks want to do is their endorsements, voice track the weekend, and get the hell out of dodge. Writing? C'mon...

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:37 am

Max, the universe to which you refer is populated by "dinosaurs". You know, those of us that were there when radio was run by BROADCASTERS as opposed to this current crop of real estate investors with their faces glued to their smartphones.

Real radio personalities never missed an opportunity to reinforce their worth, but more than that, to showcase their skills. Yes, Max, writing compelling, effective copy is a SKILL so it's no surprise the "personality" of today is at a disadvantage.

There was a time when PDs looked for the most talented, entertaining staff they could find and didn't mind paying a living wage. They knew their staff would generate far more revenue for the station than they cost. Now, without true broadcasters at the helm of most stations...uh, excuse me, I meant MEGA-GROUPS, on-air staff is viewed as merely a cost to be cut.

Of course, you knew all this, Max. Anyone who's been in radio for any appreciable time does. If you didn't, you need only to turn on the radio and listen to a few local spots.

maximillian

Post by maximillian » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Well said, my friend. Well said!

josepleflakes

Post by josepleflakes » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:08 am

Can anyone tell me some of the ways to market or the best way of approaching new prospective clients to offer my services. Writing commercials is going to be my new career, so I look forward to hearing from you.